Sunday, May 01, 2005

Cara Sonnier and The Dessert Box

What's your line? Tell us about your business or business pursuits.
I am currently the owner of The Dessert Box – an online dessert store. You can have delectable desserts delivered to your home or as a gift!

What prompted you to start your own business?
On one of my many childhood summer vacations to my grandmother’s house, I walked into a penny candy store (and a nickel and quarter candy place, too). I also spent time with my grandfather who owned his own trucking business. I knew then that owning my own place would be a life-long goal. I still hope to own an actual brick and mortar storefront one day.

How did you decide what business to pursue?
After many avenues were explored, I decided on an online venture, featuring high quality desserts delivered. I’ve always had an interest in baking and took cake decorating classes. This seemed like the natural progression, while balancing it with my children and husband’s needs.

Describe how your prior experiences influenced or helped you.
Prior work experiences helped me by eliminating things and a lifestyle I wanted to avoid. I realized that working away from home and my new daughter was not where I wanted to be.
Seeing and being in a confined cramped office was not the way I wanted to spend my days. These experiences helped me discover my own personal limits and expectations.

What help did you receive in order to set up your business?
I have learned so much from other generous women online willing to share free resources or suggesting good reading materials. My husband has been a great moral support and often suggests great ideas. And my children, of course, are my inspiration.

Are there resources or networking you find beneficial in your current business?
I find that networking with women in my market niche is a great benefit. Resources like Internet Based Moms (http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/) have been a great assistance in being online.

Did your present business require a financial investment to get started? If so, how did you acquire or fund?
Yes, but not a significant one. I’m a frugal and simple person by nature. I barter for things I need (advertising, press releases, cooking tools).

To find out more about Cara's delicious offerings, visit www.thedessertbox.com.

www.queenpower.com
disclaimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home