Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Karen McKay: Secretary by Design and Wrap It Up

What's your line? Tell us about your business or business pursuits.
I have two at-home businesses. One is Secretary by Design "Design me to be the secretary you need!” and the other is Wrap It Up, an all occasion gift wrapping and party service. Both are intended to make the life of others a little easier; to mark things off their to-do-list that they might not have the time to do themselves.

How long have you been in your profession, or in your current business?
I began Secretary by Design in February 2001 and Wrap It Up in July of 2004.

What prompted you to start your own business?
I’ve always had a dream of staying at home with any children my husband, Brad, and I had and also to have my own business. Once I found out I was pregnant with our now 15-month-old daughter, Laine, I quit my job and came home to work full-time with Secretary by Design and later Wrap It Up.

How did you decide what business to pursue?
I have worked in secretarial work of some kind since I was about 14. When I went to college, I obtained an Associate Degree in Office Systems Technology. It just seemed natural to begin my own secretarial business. And the job I quit was working in a gift shop so I’d learned how to wrap and how important the presentation of the package is, so I began the gift-wrapping service. I’m continuously adding new services to Wrap It Up.

Describe how your prior experiences influenced or helped you.
These two businesses were things I felt really comfortable with; things I felt I was good at. I worked in the secretarial field for 10 years before I began Secretary by Design in 2001 and I’d worked in the gift shop and done gift-wrapping for about three years prior to starting Wrap It Up.

What help did you receive in order to set up your business?
My mom suggested both businesses at some point. She thought of the name of my secretarial business and I came up with the one for my gift-wrapping business. I’ve had the support of my husband, Brad, cooperation from Laine while Mommy is working and support from all my family members. I’ve even done gift-wrapping for some of them. I’ve got a new website for Wrap It Up and my brother-in-law, Bryan McKay, took the pictures for me. So, it’s a great support group that I’ve got!

Are there resources or networking you find beneficial in your current business?
I do a lot of searching on the web checking out other businesses and I advertise in our local newspaper. Our local paper did an article on my two businesses, at my request, and that really helped to get the word out. That article is featured on both business websites. I’ve also got an ad coming out in one of the telephone directories in September.

Did your present business require a financial investment to get started?
My secretarial business did not require as much of an investment. We already had a computer and then I just bought supplies here and there pertaining to each project.
My gift wrapping business definitely required an investment to build up some inventory.

If so, how did you acquire or fund the start-up costs?
With both being at-home businesses, we foot the bill on all my costs.

What major roadblocks have you experienced? Explain how you dealt with them.
The major one would be that sometimes people are nervous about working with at-home businesses-more so with my secretarial business. I have sent out information about it and usually get more response locally and mostly from individuals. I’m not sure if companies grasp the concept of it. My gift-wrapping business has been a lot easier, in that respect. My customers are wonderful about referring me to their friends and family. Word of mouth works wonders!! Establishing credibility as an at-home business owner is one of the main reasons I asked the local paper to do an article on them.

Have you made mistakes you would like to share with other women entrepreneurs?
No really majors ones, yet!!

How many hours a day does your business require of you?
I work at my own pace and definitely around Laine’s schedule. I do regular work for a company with my secretarial business and that requires two full 8-hour days a week and a couple of hours each day, give or take. My gift wrapping business hours depend on when I need to pick up, deliver & wrap gifts.

How do you feel your income from your business compares to the income you would receive if you were in the traditional business sector, or workforce? Are you meeting your financial expectations or needs?
My secretarial business is definitely meeting my expectations and my gift wrapping business is getting there! The financial rewards do not compare with the rewards of getting to be at home with our daughter, Laine. That reward reaps many, many more benefits!

How do you rate your job frustration over the past week?
Normally my busiest days are Monday and Thursday. Those are the most trying days every week. I do inventory for the company I mentioned on Mondays and then I do the invoicing/billing/payroll on Thursdays for the same company. My gift-wrapping business does not usually bring frustration.

How do you rate your job satisfaction over the past week?
I feel great satisfaction with Secretary by Design after Thursday each week. Knowing that I’ve completed the tasks required by the company I do work for is great. I am satisfied with Wrap It Up when I’ve made several deliveries in one week and when I obtain new customers.

What has been your biggest challenge in running your own business?
My biggest challenge with both is making sure that the word gets out about them, putting people’s worries of at-home businesses at ease and making sure that Laine does not feel left out. I try to include her in everything I do somehow.

What has been your biggest satisfaction in running your own business?
Being able to be at home with our daughter, Laine and seeing how proud my husband is of me for doing these things. I also love helping people and enjoy the look on their faces when I deliver the gifts I’ve wrapped. Or when I’ve done everything properly with my tasks with Secretary by Design and everything runs smoothly.

Remember that old advertisement, if you had a beauty secret, would you share? If you had a business secret, would you share?
Do something that you LOVE!! I greatly enjoy secretarial work and gift-wrapping. I love being a stay-at-home mom, too. If you’re wanting to come home from your outside-the-home job, YOU CAN DO IT!! It just takes determination and discipline.


What advice would you give women who would like to become self-employed?
DO IT!! There are a lot of resources on the computer that are helpful. It’s truly not hard to do at all. You can decide one day that you want to do your business and, in a lot of cases, start it the same or next day! I would suggest that if you’re relying on the income from your outside-of-the-home job, please remember that your starting income from your at-home business might not match it at first. You may want to continue working until you feel confident and financially secure with the income from your own business. That’s what I did and it was a great way to go.

Does your present employment reflect your childhood interests or dreams?
Definitely. I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and have my own business. Now it’s all rolled into one!

How are you preparing your children to be ready to reach for their own dreams?
Well, Laine is still young, but I think that by involving her in things that I do and taking her on deliveries with me, she’s getting a good taste of how things can be. She’ll know one day that she can reach for her dreams of owning her own business, too.

Additional Questions from QueenPower and answers by Queen Karen:

Any idea what you would be doing now if you weren't doing this? -

I would be looking for a way to make money from home to be able to be a money contributing stay-at-home mom.

If you could do anything, what would it be?

Exactly what I'm doing now. I love it!

Where do you see yourself and your business 5 years from now? 10 years?

I see nothing but growth and success. In order to have success you must believe that success is obtainable.

Is there any one thing you can point to that was absolutely critical to your success?

Persistance and family support. Also a lot of prayer and a lot of great customers!

If you could go back in time to change anything, what would you do differently?

Maybe I would've started my businesses earlier, but the timing for both was actually pretty great.

© answers by Karen McKay, 2005, all rights reserved
http://www.secretarybydesign.com/
http://www.wrapitup2004.com/

At-home businesses owner Karen McKay, 27, her husband, Brad, 30, and their 16-month-old daughter, Laine live in north central Mississippi. She is a stay-at-home, working mom and the owner of Secretary by Design http://www.secretarybydesign.com/ & Wrap It Up http://www.wrapitup2004.com/

http://queenpower.com
disclaimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home