Monday, May 16, 2005

Gwen Morrison: Writer/Editor/Publisher

http://www.georgialifestylesmagazine/
www.gwenmorrison.com

I am a writer. I remember the day that I actually said that out loud and believed it. A life-long dream, being a writer was all I can ever remember wanting to do when I was a child. It never dawned on me that those dreams of seeing my name in print, my words being read by thousands of people, could actually come true.

Today, I write for various online and print magazines on a freelance basis, I am the publisher of a regional magazine in the Atlanta area (www.georgialifestylesmagazine.com), as well as the editor of an online publication at www.iNetVaction.com. My first novel, “Ivy: The story of a friendship,” is soon to be released and I’m busy working on two more.

The magazine was born last fall. A full color, glossy publication, Georgia Lifestyles is delivered to more than 40,000 homes. I’m very proud of this accomplishment. Not only did I prove to myself that it could be done – that I could actually start, operate and earn a income as a publisher – but I have learned so much about myself on this very challenging journey. I learned that anything is possible if you want it badly enough. I also learned that operating your own business involves a lot more manpower hours than I had expected.

I am not the kind of person to sit on the fence; when I want something, I go for it. I wanted to be my own boss. I wanted to prove to myself that I could produce a product that would match, and maybe even surpass, the current competition. I believe I have done that and it was not without a huge commitment of time. Today, I have a product that is published bi-monthly that has people talking. People love it. They look forward to receiving it in their mailbox. It’s exciting to think that I am creating it.

Along the way I have met some wonderful people who have added key elements to the success of the magazine. I guess you could say I’ve had a few mentors along the way. Those special people who take the time to say, “Hey, this is a better way to do it,” or “You might want to consider this; it worked for me.” Those kinds of people are instrumental in the success of any business. I believe we all need someone to lean on who has “been there, done that,” when starting any new business. It can save you a lot of time, energy, and maybe most importantly, money.

In order to create, print and mail issues of Georgia Lifestyles every other month there are fixed costs. For the first issue, we struggled. We didn’t have a product to “show” to potential advertisers to encourage them to place an ad in our publication. I created a media kit that included all of our demographic information, editorial calendar and our current rate information (with a discount for our first issue). Then, I created a “mock” copy of what it would look like. We signed about half of the clients we needed. The rest of the monetary commitment for printing the magazine came from myself and from my family. My sister and my mother are my biggest cheerleaders. They believed in me and in my ability to create a product that would be a successful tool for business owners. Having people who believe in you can make a huge difference in how you feel about your business venture. It can give you just the added boost you need to keep moving forward towards success. It can be as simple as your frame of mind. If you believe in yourself (or in your business venture), others will believe in you, too. This may be the key to gaining respect in your industry, making sales or in being validated as a serious business owner. You have to believe in it.

I still work long hours, but I find myself slipping into a comfort zone with the business. Since its launch, my husband (who is instrumental in creating the layout and graphics) and I have incorporated a layout design that makes it easier for us to produce the magazine file to send to the printer. There’s a better “feel” for the business now that we’ve published a few issues.

The income that is generated by the magazine advertising sales has been good, but it’s also not the same as receiving a weekly paycheck. If you break it all down to the number of hours you may put into a business, and figure out what you’re being paid, it probably won’t be pretty in those first few years. That’s typical of any business. If you have a passion for what you are doing (and there’s someone who can put food on the table!), then it’s all worth it.

I have always worked in one form or another. I’ve worked in a doctor’s office as a lab assistant and I’ve worked as an accounting clerk. Working outside the home may be easier than working at home for moms. I have four children and when I started my writing career, about six years ago, my kids understand the idea that Mommy was really “working.” My youngest son would tell people that I “emailed people all day.” He was four when he spread that rumor to his teachers. I’m sure they thought I was surfing the Internet all day, hanging out in chat rooms and downloading music for entertainment. He didn’t understand what freelance writing was or that I was trying to build a career that allowed me the opportunity to be at home when the bus rolled into the neighborhood and be able to give them that one last kiss before seeing them off in the morning. It didn’t take long for them to clue into this “working Mommy” idea, though. The first time they saw my name on a magazine, I think that was it. They understood that I was indeed a mom who worked from home – on top of the fact that I was still the mom who made the beds, helped with homework, took them to the dentist and so on (but we won’t get into that …).

Today I have a door on my office and I’ve had to put a sign on the door from time to time that reads “DO NOT DISTURB…WORKING.” I try not to do that very often as the whole idea of working from home, for me, is being available when they need me. It’s just their definition of “NEED” that we have to work on.

Overall, my advice to anyone who is considering starting their own business is to do the research. Whatever area you are considering, do your homework before hanging the sign on your door. Know your competitors inside and out. Find a way to market yourself as a unique entity so as not to minimize the comparisons that will occur. Be organized, especially if you have a family. Don’t be discouraged by setbacks. Growing pains are inevitable in those first few years; learn from them. And most of all make time for fun. Don’t work all the time. Even if take 30 minutes and read a book, listen to music or just stare out the window, take a break from it or you will burn out very quickly.

My last piece of advice is one that I need to really remind myself often: Don’t take yourself too seriously. Life is short. It really is. Have fun with what you are doing. Running your own business can be very stressful. Be sure to take stock in “why” you started the venture in the first place. And remember that it began with a dream and in order to have the dream fulfilled, there will be ups and downs. Keep a harness on you at all time during the climb, and when you’re coasting, be sure to wave your arms high in the air and enjoy the ride!

And Additional Questions from Queen Power, with Answers from Queen Gwen:

Any idea what you would be doing now if you weren't doing this?
If I weren't running my own business as a magazine publisher and editor, I would likely be freelance writing and concentrating more of my time on fiction writing. I love creating fictional characters, giving them a life and watching it transform all on its own. It's fascinating to me how much a character can find their own voice when I'm penning their story. I have heard writers talk about this subject in interviews and I would never have believed them if I hadn't experienced it for myself.

If you could do anything, what would it be?
I've always dreamed of writing novels from the porch of a small cottage on a quiet beach.

Where do you see yourself and your business 5 years from now? 10 years?
I don't know where my business will be but I do know that I will be doing something that I love. I am the kind of person who enjoys change. I have been a writer for many years but that has taken me from freelance writer to assistant editor to editor to publisher. Now I'm not really sure what's next but I'm always open to exploring new pathways to build on my skills as a writer. I have worn a lot of hats and sometimes you have to do that to find out which one is just the right fit.

Is there any one thing you can point to that was absolutely critical to your success?
Believing in yourself is critical to success, no matter what business you are in. In order for any business to be successful there must be a belief that anything is possible. That can often be difficult for small business owners or freelance writers because you don't have anyone patting you on the back at every turn. You have to be your biggest cheerleader. When you believe in yourself, others will believe in you.


© Gwen Morrison, 2005, all rights reserved

http://www.queenpower.com
disclaimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home