Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Dawn R. Carrington and Vintage Romance Publishing

What's your line? Tell us about your business or business pursuits.

I actually have three business pursuits. I’m a full-time author, the Executive Editor and Business Manager of Vintage Romance Publishing and a freelance editor. Occasionally, I take time to breathe.

How long have you been in your profession, or in your current business?

I’ve been writing for over twenty years, in publishing and freelance editing for a little over a year now.

What prompted you to start your own business?
I was injured in a car accident in June 2003 and figured it was only a matter of time before I wouldn’t be able to continue my profession as a paralegal. So in October 2003, I, along with three of my closest friends, started Vintage Romance Publishing.

How did you decide what business to pursue?

Since I’m a writer, I knew a lot about the publishing industry. That’s not to say I knew everything, but I knew I loved the old vintage films and historicals which is what led me to decide upon a publishing company totally devoted to historicals.

Describe how your prior experiences influenced or helped you.

My prior experience as a writer helped me to know the ins and outs of the business and to know what type of authors and manuscripts to look for. I majored in English in college so that helped with the editing. Also, I speed read which is what helped me devour the books I needed to learn how to set up the company and keep it running.

What help did you receive in order to set up your business?

I received a lot of help from books. I now have over thirty books about publishing, marketing, running a small business, etc. I did a lot of reading, and as far as financial goes, my friends and I carried the expenses ourselves. We didn’t want to go into debt, and so far, so good.

Are there resources or networking you find beneficial in your current business?

Oh, absolutely. I’ve lost count of the number of forums and groups I’m on, and until recently Vintage Romance Publishing was a member of Publishers’ Marketing Association (forgot to renew LOL). I’m always out in the community talking about our company, talking to libraries, distributors and bookstores. Word of mouth is one of the biggest marketing tools a business person has.

Did your present business require a financial investment to get started?

As I mentioned above, my friends and I shared the costs, so although the business did require a financial investment, it was easier when four people were splitting the costs. Starting a publishing company isn’t a walk in the park. There are business fees, fees for forming a corporation, the purchase of ISBNs, website creation, update and maintenance, etc. So the costs weren’t minimal.

What major roadblocks have you experienced? Explain how you dealt with them.

We haven’t really experienced major roadblocks except for the fact that we’re a small press and that in itself is a roadblock with bookstores at times. So you have to have tough skin in this business.

Have you made mistakes you would like to share with other women entrepreneurs?

Oh, yeah. I’ve made plenty of mistakes without the advanced knowledge. I did some bookkeeping in my job as a paralegal, but I didn’t have anywhere near the knowledge I needed to run a business. So my advice would be take a class or hire a bookkeeper.

Another mistake I made was allowing personal friendships to interfere with business decisions. When you run a business, you have to always think of it as a business.

Additionally, I granted credit to a company I didn’t really know, and it took me quite some time to finally get the money from them. So don’t advance credit unless you know the company extremely well and have thoroughly checked them out. (Dun and Bradstreet is a good place to start.)

How many hours a day does your business require of you?

Well, before I quit working as a paralegal on April 15th of this year, I was working about 15 hours a week. Now, I work about 20-25, but that’s only because I choose to. We have a wonderful staff who does their job, but I’m constantly marketing the company, sending out press releases, etc.

How do you feel your income from your business compares to the income you would receive if you were in the traditional business sector, or workforce? Are you meeting your financial expectations or needs?

Right now, with my writing and the company, I am meeting my financial needs. Am I driving a brand new car and taking dream vacations, no, but I’m outside the stress of the workforce which I spent twenty years in. At present, my income doesn’t match what I was making as a paralegal, but that will come in time.

How do you rate your job frustration over the past week?

Minimal. Usually, I have one or two snags a week to deal with. I grumble and gripe, fix it and move on.

month? About average, a lot less than what I had when I was a paralegal.

How do you rate your job satisfaction over the past week?

Extremely high. It’s always a bonus to me when I get something done that others said couldn’t get done. For instance, a well-known newspaper never reviews small press books. The author tried and tried to get them to review her book, but they kept refusing. So I contacted the book editor and managed to talk him into reviewing the book. The author was so thrilled, and that’s exciting to me.

Month? It’s been a month since I left my job and I can honestly say I don’t dread getting up in the mornings any more.

Year? Ask me this time next year. LOL

What has been your biggest challenge in running your own business?

Learning all the minuscule details you need to know to stay afloat. Liabilities, assets, expenditures, taxes, credits, dues, etc. Eeek.

What has been your biggest frustration in running your own business?

My expectations. I’m a very motivated and driven person so I’ve had to learn that successes come in small stages.

What has been your biggest satisfaction in running your own business?

I can take a nap during the day. LOL But also, it’s been doing what I’ve always dreamed of doing. I want to spend my life immersed in writing and the publishing industry, and I’m getting to do that.


Remember that old advertisement, if you had a beauty secret, would you share? If you had a business secret, would you share? If you would share, what is your business secret?

I will gladly share. Learn the art of marketing. That’s what has put Vintage Romance Publishing in front of the public. We’ve never been afraid to talk about our company, to give presentations, send out marketing materials and stand in front of a crowd of people and talk about our successes. If you don’t promote yourself and your company, who will?


What advice would you give women who would like to become self-employed?

Make sure you have at least six months worth of expenses in the bank before you take the leap. My leap was taken for me when my boss decided he needed someone full-time ( I was only working part-time because of my injuries). So it was very scary knowing I only had two months worth of expenses in the bank, but bit by bit, I see more and more going into my account, and there’s no doubt in my mind I’m going to make it.

Another thing is know your competition. You have to have an angle, something that makes you better than the competition. Why should a customer choose you as opposed to the guy next door? Find your niche and own it.

While you are juggling your business, home, and relationships, do you feel sometimes one part of your life is overemphasized, while another part might be neglected? If so, how do you reclaim a good balance?

Oh, I do feel the company takes precedence right now, but I manage to hang on to my balance by taking time for myself on the weekends. I have established working hours for Vintage Romance and established writing hours for myself. The weekends are mine to do whatever I want to do. Spend it with friends, go shopping, work on crafts, anything like that. If I want to write, I do, but I will not work on the company on weekends. That’s my own time.

Does your present employment reflect your childhood interests or dreams?

Absolutely. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated with books, and I would read every chance I got. I always knew I’d have something to do with books or writing in the future. Fortunately, I get to do both.

Any idea what you would be doing now if you weren't doing this?

Probably still working as a paralegal.

If you could do anything, what would it be?

Only one thing? Geesh, that's a tough one. I guess I'd like to give all of my friends happy, fulfilled, unstressed lives.

Where do you see yourself and your business 5 years from now? 10 years?

I see myself on a beach in Maui sipping a drink with an umbrella in it in five years. I see my writing career expanding and Vintage Romance Publishing a major success in the publishing industry. In ten years, I'll be getting Botox injections and chasing after men half my age. I'll be a successful writer and my partners and I will either have sold the company to HarperCollins for megabucks or be so enthralled with such a successful business that we don't want to stop.

Is there any one thing you can point to that was absolutely critical to your
success?


Motivation. When life gets tough and throws so many problems your way, you have to stay motivated, believe in what you're doing and don't let anyone convince you that you can't succeed.

If you could go back in time to change anything, what would you do
differently?


I would have started the company earlier and skipped so many Twinkies™ as a child.

What do you think young people should know to prepare them to reach for their own dreams?

I’m a firm believer in you can’t give someone ambition, but you can show it to them. I believe that children learn by example, and if you’re motivated to reach for your dreams as their parent, they’re going to be motivated to reach for theirs.

Finally, I would stress that failure is not an option. If you want something badly enough, you can make it happen no matter how many obstacles life throws in the way. I’ve had health problems galore over the past eight years, and yet, here I sit living the first part of my dream

Answers © Dawn R. Carrington, 2005

Dawn Rachel Carrington is a multi-published author of fantasy and paranormal romance, the editor of Vintage Romance Publishing and a freelance editor. She resides on the East Coast near the ocean which provides the perfect backdrop for working at home.

www.vrpublishing.com
www.dawnrachel.com

http://www.queenpower.com
disclaimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home