Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Christine Louise Hohlbaum: SAHM and So Much More

What's your line? Tell us about your business or business pursuits.

I am a writer, author of several books, instructor and motivational speaker.

How long have you been in your profession, or in your current business?

About two years.

What prompted you to start your own business?

I wanted to stay home with my kids and raise them myself. I had NO idea how hard it would be to be a mother. To find a sense of creative balance, I started writing as an outlet. From there, I learned to market my books and started offering a marketing class for book authors. Networking is as natural to me as breathing. Growing up, my mom had her own real estate business. I learned a lot about customer service by observing her in action.

How did you decide what business to pursue?

It was an organic process really. Someone asked me to put an online class together to help authors, since I seemed to know a bit about book promotion. The next thing I knew I had created a new identity as a PR Diva Queen. I have a product coming out which includes a hands-on workbook and audio series for authors to jumpstart their book marketing campaign, no matter where they are in the process.

Describe how your prior experiences influenced or helped you.

It was a lot of trial and error. Every day offers a new learning experience. I hope to keep learning about what works and what doesn’t to fine tune the craft of writing and marketing.

What help did you receive in order to set up your business?

Other than a few friends’ moral support, I was on my own to figure out the publishing world. It has been a wild ride thus far!

Are there resources or networking you find beneficial in your current business?

Ryze.com was a super resource in the early days of my marketing efforts. Networking offline has been very useful as it helps establish your credibility as a speaker, etc. People buy books from people so that is a positive.

Did your present business require a financial investment to get started?

I’ve had a pay-as-you-go mentality, although as you become more well-known there are considerations as to whether to outsource some of your PR efforts. If you have a few thousand dollars to help market your book, you can do a lot.

What major roadblocks have you experienced? Explain how you dealt with them.

Living abroad while selling to the U.S. market has been tricky. Thanks to the Internet, I have “met” a lot of influential people who have been incredibly helpful. One day I interviewed an international best-selling author for a magazine article, connected a US-based TV producer with the president of a national association for her documentary with PBS, and played soccer with my son. My life is extremely diverse, and in reality, I appreciate the distance I have. It is easier to “tune out” if I want to.

Have you made mistakes you would like to share with other women entrepreneurs?

NEVER send an attachment or spam magazine editors and the like. In the beginning, I would send my press release in attachment form. A bit naïve!!

How many hours a day does your business require of you?

If you count the parallel childcare, I’d say 15 hours a day.

How do you feel your income from your business compares to the income you would receive if you were in the traditional business sector, or workforce? Are you meeting your financial expectations or needs?

Not yet, but writing, publishing and marketing require a “pyramid” structure. You build one brick on top of the other. One dayI envision an empire of creativity and nice cash flow to boot!

How do you rate your job frustration over the past week?

Pretty low

month?

moderate

Year?

moderate

How do you rate your job satisfaction over the past week?

Very high – I have had quite a few nice “wins” this week.

Month?

Great! I recently went to New York and met a few editors. The writing field is a slow-paced one. Lots of hurry up and wait!

Year?

Having published two books in three months has consumed a great deal of my creative energy, but it feeds me more than drains me. I enjoy creating laser-like messages about my writing, so marketing is great fun for me.


Remember that old advertisement, if you had a beauty secret, would you share? If you had a business secret, would you share? If you would share, what is your business secret?

My method is simple: be a part of the solution. If an editor needs a story, write it. If a producer needs an interview subject, provide it. If you can’t be the one to do the actual story or interview, help the editor or producer get the source she needs. Filling people’s needs is one sure-fire way that they’ll remember you. It is about connecting people with people and reminding them of their own vision.

In short, be memorable!

What advice would you give women who would like to become self-employed?

Give yourself three years before you expect to be profitable. Look into the Small Business Administration for loans, if you require one. Have courage to follow your dream. If you do, you are guaranteed to lead a soul-drive existence.

While you are juggling your business, home, and relationships, do you feel sometimes one part of your life is overemphasized, while another part might be neglected? If so, how do you reclaim a good balance?

The other day I noticed my husband needed some attention. So instead of pounding on the keyboard for the three hours my kids are in school, I went to lunch with him. There is always one area that is slightly neglected. It is a part of leading a fulfilling, full life. Nonetheless, I try not to sacrifice my personal time too much because I will be no good to anyone if I do that. Balance requires us to say “no” to good things, too. That is a hard lesson to learn, but one well worth it if you do!

What’s the hardest part of interweaving the different parts of your life?

The hardest part is keeping all 17 balls in the air. Some days I get weak in the knees and giggle myself silly. Being ambitious can be very tiring!

Does your present employment reflect your childhood interests or dreams?

Yes! I discovered the joy of writing at age 11. As a child actor (okay, just community theater,but it informed who I am today!), I have always loved speaking in front of people, especially when I have something to say. It brings me great joy to help others succeed.

How are you preparing your children to be ready to reach for their own dreams?

In fact, I am thinking of organizing an art exhibition for my daughter who loves to paint and draw. She is six and resides in an incredibly creative space within herself. I really want to nurture that.

Any idea what you would be doing now if you weren't doing this?
I had always thought I'd be an international peacemaker. I suppose raising two kids, who fight a lot, in Germany is as close as I'll get! Seriously, I am living so many of my dreams that I am extremely happy with my life!

If you could do anything, what would it be?

I envision doing an international speaking circuit at some point.

Where do you see yourself and your business 5 years from now? 10 years?

In five years, I will have published two novels. In ten, I will have my own business consulting firm with an emphasis on negotiation and communication.

Is there any one thing you can point to that was absolutely critical to your success?

Perseverance, believing I can do anything, and not being intimidated easily.

If you could go back in time to change anything, what would you do differently?

I wish I had known more about book promotion before publishing my first book,
Diary of a Mother: Parenting Stories and Other Stuff. But the reality is I learned the best by making a lot of mistakes. Mistakes are not bad. They help propel us to "yes" in our lives.

Parenting humorist Christine Louise Hohlbaum, author of the world-renowned books
Diary of a Mother: Parenting Stories and Other Stuff and SAHM I Am:
Tales of a Stay-at-Home Mom in Europe, inspires mothers everywhere through her
powerful stories. As a mother of two living near Munich, Germany, Christine publishes
an entertaining ezine based upon real-life experiences. Visit
http://www.diaryofamother.com
She also applies her strong marketing background to assist authors in their book promotion strategies.
http://PRDiva.bravehost.com

http: http://www.queenpower.com/
disclaimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home